Newsletter Issue: October 2017
- Do you have trouble getting customers to see the big picture when it comes to reaching their goals or building financial security? Join The Prosperity Agenda and the Clinic for a virtual presentation on how to prepare your customer to meet these challenges, achieve goals, and build long-lasting coaching relationships – register here!
- RSVP now for a virtual briefing with the Clinic and the Workforce Benchmarking Network to learn about a new approach for effective and impactful integration to help workforce participants achieve financial security – learn more below!
The Financial Clinic’s Financial Goal
October 15 was National Financial Goal Day, and the Clinic celebrated achieving its own – a new office!
After outgrowing our former space on 30th Street, we are thrilled to find a new home in Industry City, returning to our Brooklyn roots. We look forward to welcoming many of you here for in-person and virtual trainings and visits!
All of our contact information remains the same, except for our new address:
254 36th Street, Suite B321
Brooklyn, NY 11232
The Season of Workforce Development
Forget the winter blues with three exciting opportunities and events for workforce development programs, practitioners, and stakeholders!
November 2017 – The Clinic’s workforce development focused financial security ecosystem is going national! If you are or know of a workforce development program in New Jersey or Michigan, keep an eye out for our RFP to be a partner in building financial security for jobseekers – to be released before Thanksgiving.
December 12, 2017 – When is More Not Extra? Effective Strategies for Financial Security Integration in Workforce Programs. Learn how to address jobseekers’ financial insecurity effectively and simply. The Clinic and the Workforce Benchmarking Network of Corporation for a Skilled Workforce (CSW) are releasing a white paper to examine how basic financial security activities connect with better workforce outcomes and highlight the results from WorkBOOST NYC for replication. RSVP for the virtual briefing today!
Early 2018 – The Clinic is hosting a half-day practitioner convening, featuring interactive workshops and presentations on strategies for addressing jobseekers’ financial concerns to ensure employment success. Attendees will walk away with an index card of easy steps for immediate use with customers – a fun professional development opportunity not to be missed!
My Financial Goal: Saving for College
Just in time for National Financial Goal Day, the New York State Department of Taxation and Finance announced that Refund529 — allowing tax filers to split their state refund toward a direct contribution into a 529 college savings account — will be implemented for the 2018 tax season! This means New Yorkers can achieve their goal of saving for their children’s education by connecting their intentions to save with a reputable, mainstream financial resource (with its own tax benefits!).
Learn more about the Clinic’s work advocating for Refund529 and how you can become involved in the next steps!
Social Spotlight: #TrickorTreat – College Savings Edition
It’s Halloween – what’s more spooky than thinking about paying for college?! Not to fear, the Clinic has the “tricks” to watch out for and the “treats” to take advantage of with college expenses. Have any tips of your own? Let us know @financialclinic and #TrickorTreat!
Don’t miss the latest news: Follow the Clinic on Facebook and Twitter!
The Clinic Across the Country
Speaking Engagements, Presentations, and Features
The Clinic staff have been busy, offering their expertise at various conferences and presentations. A selection of recent appearances include:
- On October 4, Founder and CEO, Mae Watson Grote, spoke at the SEEP Network Annual Conference on their panel, “What’s Data Got to Do With It? Reframing the Conversation from Financial Inclusion to Financial Health” in Arlington, VA. Mae was also a guest speaker at the October 11 NYC Conference co-hosted by the Department of Financial Services and MetLife Foundation.
- On October 5-6 in Indianapolis, Assistant Director of Partnership Management, Megan Kursik, joined more than 150 practitioners and advocates for the first ever Midwest Asset Building Conference. Change Machine sponsored a ShareLive! event for conference goers, a night of games, drinks, and great conversation at Fountain Square Theatre and Imbibe. Megan also shared tips and lessons learned from the Clinic’s experience developing Change Machine as a CRM tool to improve coaching practice and drive greater impact for coaching customers in the breakout session “Practical Tools for Financial Coaching.” Thanks to conference organizers Prosperity Indiana, Community Economic Development Association of Michigan, Illinois Asset Building Group, Minnesota Asset Building Coalition, and Policy Matters Ohio for putting on a great event!
- Jared Marling, Assistant Director of Capacity Building, joined NYATEP for their annual conference in Syracuse, NY: A Skilled New York, The Intersection of Education, Workforce & Economic Development. Jared presented a workshop on October 17, “Building Your Job and Career-Seeker’s Financial Security.”