Newsletter Issue: April 2018
- From CEO Mae Watson Grote:
- The Clinic’s Role in Closing the Racial Wealth Gap (Co-written by Policy Manager Michael Dedmon)
- Three Myths About Working Poor Households and How They Build Financial Security
- Check out the brand new Coaches’ Column, where our financial coaches will be giving actionable advice on a wide range of topics for you to share with your customers!
- Upcoming Events:
- April 26th – Community Training: Our Financial Security Framework
- May 15th – How to Apply Coaching Principles to Your WorkForce Development program
- May 16th – Community Training: The Key to Coaching
- Shoutout to our FinancialWorks partners, who served over 10,000 customers as of April 5th. Congratulations!
CEO Mae Watson Grote Speaks at Center for Social Development Event Honoring Financial Capability Month
“The real promise for this work […] is ultimately building partnerships with other human service sectors and organizations, understanding their needs and advancing a framework that helps accelerate mission” – Mae Watson Grote, Founder and CEO, The Pivotal Role of Human Service Practitioners in Guilding Financial Capability
Look out for full published remarks on our website.
Be sure to check out the livestream from the event! (Mae begins speaking at 1:33:45)
The Clinic’s Tax Season in Numbers
April 18th marked the end of tax season, so we thought this was the perfect time to give you all a tax season round up! The 2017 tax season was an exciting one for the Clinic. Through our VITA (Volunteer Income Tax Assistance) program, we were able to…
- Prepare 4,811 returns
- Put $5,416,424 back into the pockets of our customers
- Help customers deposit $4,975 into 529 accounts
Congratulations to all dedicated tax teams! Please note that the Clinic will be available for limited post tax season support Tuesdays and Thursdays at our Industry City address through mid June.
Introducing WorkBOOST National, Supported by MetLife Foundation
On April 10th we announced the launch of WorkBOOST National, a national ecosystem supported by MetLife Foundation, that kicked off with our first training in North Carolina. WorkBOOST National is a three year initiative that will bring financial security approaches to scale to seven partners in North Carolina and Ohio. These partners are:
- The North Carolina African Services Coalition in Greensboro, NC
- The Power of the Dream in Raleigh, NC
- Durham Technical Community College in Durham, NC
- Goodwill in Columbus, OH
- Jewish Family Services in Columbus, OH
- Per Scholas in Columbus, OH
- Towards Employment in Columbus, OH
The Clinic and WorkBOOST National partners will build the capacity of frontline staff to integrate proven financial interactions with program participants. This program will build upon the success of the Clinic’s recently completed program WorkBOOST NYC, a two year project with eight workForce development organizations in NYC.
“The Clinic and MetLife Foundation are excited by the opportunity to build financial security for thousands of jobseekers nationally over the next three years and to increase the efficacy of embedding our proven financial coaching strategies into a diverse range of workforce development programs,”– Mae Watson Grote, Founder and CEO of The Financial Clinic
“To unlock financial health, consumers require more than basic access to quality financial services and products – they need products that will make it easier to manage their money, and reduce their stress […]we support The Financial Clinic for its pragmatic approach, integrating financial coaching with obtaining and retaining quality jobs, and believe that this combination is the key to achieving better results for the families and communities striving to build a more resilient future”– Sarah Willis, Program Manager, MetLife Foundation.
Social Spotlight: #FinancialCapabilityMonth
In April we highlighted Financial Capability Month, a time dedicated to making sure that everyone takes the time to understand all of the important financial decisions that lie ahead of them. Make sure you are doing something to better your financial knowledge this month so that when the time comes you will be ready to make the best decisions for you and your clients.
The Clinic Across the Country
Speaking Engagements, Presentations, and Features
The Clinic staff have been busy, offering their expertise at various conferences and presentations. A selection of recent appearances include:
- Assistant Director of Capacity Building Jared Marling presented on a panel on March 28th for the Workforce Invest Forum in D.C.
- CEO Mae Watson Grote joined the Federal Reserve Bank of New York for a meeting of the Community Advisory Group on March 29th and spoke on a panel at the Just Economy conference in DC on April 10th.
- Chief Program Officer Haidee Cabusora and Director of Development Aubrie Fennecken attended Closing the Women’s Wealth Gap Initiative Meeting in Chicago on April 10th.