Newsletter Issue: January 2018
- A new year, a new leader: meet Peter Olivier, Change Machine’s new Director of Product Management!
- Deadline extended for North Carolina and Ohio workforce development organizations – Register for our info session next week and download the RFP to become a national ecosystem partner.
- Countdown to 5/29, #Refund529 Day! Support the campaign to empower college savings during tax time.
Deep Breath…Tax Season is Here
We know this may not be your favorite time of year, but we are on a mission to make this year’s tax season as easy and rewarding as we can for you!
- If you made $54,000 or less in 2017, you can receive free tax help through the Clinic’s Volunteer Income Tax Preparation (VITA) program – schedule an appointment online or call (212) 505-3482.
- Not in NYC? Find a VITA site in your neighborhood.
- If you made under $66,000 in 2017, file your taxes free online thanks to United Way’s MyFreeTaxes: Visit myfreetaxes.org to learn more.
- Want to make an impact this tax season? Become a volunteer tax preparer!
NEW THIS YEAR! Eligible New York state filers can split their refund towards a direct contribution into a 529 college savings account – download the Refund529 flyer for more information on 529 accounts and how to take advantage of this new opportunity!
Impact NOW – Registration Now Open
The Clinic is thrilled to present Impact NOW (New Opportunities for Workforce), a FREE professional development opportunity for workforce development and financial security practitioners in New York City. Join us, or send your staff, on Friday, March 16 for a half-day of interactive workshops, learning and sharing! Visit the event page to register and learn more.
Celebrating a Year of Success
Congratulations to Grant Associates for completing their first year of financial security integration! Grant Associates rolled out various levels of financial security work implementation over the first few months of 2017, across 16 programs. Since then, they have made tremendous progress in how they support their customers in building financial security. They have provided one-on-one financial coaching to over 5,000 customers and provided numerous other services, including direct referrals, workshops, and savings programs. The financial security outcomes have been on the rise over the last several months, and coaches at several programs have built incredible momentum, putting nearly $100,000 back into their customers’ pockets so far!
The Grant Associates coaches and staff have also been building their own financial security and knowledge. In fact, across all the Grant Associates programs, staff members have completed nearly 2,800 quizzes in the LEARN section of Change Machine. This has led to several inspiring success stories about how the staff members themselves have seen positive change in their lives.
We are looking forward to an even more powerful second year of partnership with Grant Associates in 2018!
Learn more about Grant Associate’s implementation of financial security strategies in a recent blog post by the Clinic’s Jared Marling, Assistant Director of Capacity Building.
Social Spotlight: #MoreNotExtra
Don’t miss the five-part blog series by the Clinic and Corporation for a Skilled Workforce (CSW) on the intersection of workforce development and financial security. Read the latest posts here!
The Clinic Across the Country
Speaking Engagements, Presentations, and Features
The Clinic staff have been busy, offering their expertise at various conferences and presentations. A selection of recent appearances include:
- The second year of FinancialWorks launched in Chicago, IL, January 24-26! Assistant Director of National Accounts, Jessica Wise, Ecosystem Account Manager, Isaias Garcia, Manager of Service Delivery, Erica Mancinas, and Manager of Organizational Development, Danielle Denisenko, welcomed 11 new partner organizations traveling from AZ, IL, OR, TN, TX, UT and VA with a series of organizational development sessions, trainings and networks. Stay tuned for updates later this year as the project develops.