Newsletter Issue: February 2018
- Two exciting webinars in just one month!
- Want to engage volunteer financial coaches? Join the Clinic and Prepare + Prosper on March 7 for a webinar on applicable approaches and program models that will help make your program a success.
- It’s tax time! Learn about the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program, how to speak to clients about its benefits, and how you can help your client prepare to file on our March 13 webinar with guest presenter, Roxy Caines from the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities.
- Due this week for North Carolina and Ohio workforce development organizations – apply to the RFP to become a national ecosystem partner.
Growing Financial Security Across the Country
In January, we were thrilled to launch the second year of FinancialWorks — the financial security ecosystem in collaboration with UnidosUS and its network of Affiliates nationwide — welcoming an additional 11 organizations into the initiative! Read about the full scope of FinancialWorks cohorts 1, 2, and 3.
The first cohort has already shown tremendous progress. Their accomplishments to date include:
- 3,930 customers served across the three Affiliates: El Centro Hispano (Durham, NC), The Concilio (Dallas, TX), and La Maestra Community Health Centers (San Diego, CA)
- 1,010 customers received light-touch coaching from frontline staff; 102 received further support from financial coaches
- The most completed action through light-touch coaching (80% of customers!) has been to identify a financial goal – a proven driver in future financial success
- All organizations have achieved outcomes in making financial security building a permanent part of their services including identifying places for financial security building in customer flow; staff buy-in through completed Change Machine modules and quizzes; changing job descriptions to include financial security building activities; and utilizing new marketing to include financial security building work
Impact NOW – Content Announced
Secret sources have leaked some of the topics for Impact NOW (New Opportunities for Workforce), a FREE professional development opportunity for workforce development and financial security practitioners in New York City.
- Integration Options that Work for You. Learn how financial security strategies enhance the work of workforce development staff, examine case studies of successful integration methods in the field, and discuss steps for implementation.
- Leveraging Approaches for Systems Change. Review the current workforce development landscape, discover unique approaches to systems-level impact, and identify opportunities for collaborative impact.
- Leading Your Team to the Next Level. Discuss case making for financial security integration to overcome staff challenges, develop a framework for change, and further your vision and goals for financial security building at your organization.
Join us or send your staff – RSVP today!
The Clinic Across the Country
Speaking Engagements, Presentations, and Features
The Clinic staff have been busy, offering their expertise at various conferences and presentations. A selection of recent appearances include:
Director of Marketing and Communications, Nicole Dewey, and Development and Communications Manager, Kristen McGuire, joined BRIC as grantees of the Emmy-nominated Media Share program on February 8 for the 2017 cohort’s video screening. Stay tuned for the public release of the Clinic’s new video!
- On February 12, Chief Program Officer, Haidee Cabusora, moderated the Prosperity Now Northeast Region Virtual Listening Session to discuss regional trends and collaborations, and the best ways to advocate for policies and progress.
- Megan Kursik, Assistant Director of Partnership Management, also joined Prosperity Now on their Financial Coaching Network‘s bi-monthly field call to investigate the role that financial technology can play in aiding the practice of financial coaching — including Change Machine!