Newsletter Issue: November 2017
- Help families save for their children’s education by supporting The Financial Clinic’s #GivingTuesday campaign! Donate today.
- Register for Asset Funders Network’s webinar, “The Changing Nature of Work and Income: How Philanthropy Can Respond to and Support Low Income Families,” tomorrow at 2pm ET!
- RSVP now to join the Clinic and the Workforce Benchmarking Network for a virtual briefing, “When is More Not Extra? Effective Strategies for Financial Security” on December 12 at 1pm ET.
Two Webinars for the Price of None
The Changing Nature of Work and Income: How Philanthropy Can Respond to and Support Low Income Families
Join Asset Funders Network for a webinar tomorrow, November 29, at 2pm ET for a discussion on how income volatility challenges working Americans and emerging strategies to address this economic insecurity through workplace advancements. Speakers will include Clinic board member, Ida Rademacher of The Aspen Institute, Don E. Baylor, Jr. of The Annie E. Casey Foundation, and Kim Ostrowski of Prudential Financial. RSVP here!
When is More Not Extra? Effective Strategies for Financial Security
In just two weeks on December 12 at 1pm ET, join the Clinic and the Workforce Benchmarking Network of Corporation for a Skilled Workforce to learn about impactful integration of services to help workforce programs achieve greater financial security for their participants. Visit our event page to learn more and RSVP today!
In the Thanksgiving Spirit
In this season of giving thanks, we could not be more thankful for strength of the Clinic family – our partners, clients, customers, supporters, and funders across the country who stand with us every day in our mission to build the nation’s financial security.
Just in time for the holidays, our family became even stronger! We’d like to welcome Prepare + Prosper as the latest organization to join as a Strategic Partner for Change Machine to lead the new Pay it Forward group!
As financial coaching programs grow, many are choosing to incorporate volunteers into their service delivery models. Volunteer financial coaches can help programs increase their capacity as well as extend the network of support for participants beyond the organization and into the community. The Pay it Forward group is designed to be a place to share resources and best practices among both program managers and volunteers. Join the conversation!
Social Spotlight: #GivingTuesday
Give the gift of a pathway to college. This Giving Tuesday, the Clinic is launching a campaign to help thousands of children to begin the necessary savings for a college education. Help us reach our goal of $10,000 to ensure all eligible New Yorkers are informed and empowered to take advantage of the new Refund529 – learn more!
The Clinic Across the Country
Speaking Engagements, Presentations, and Features
The Clinic staff have been busy, offering their expertise at various conferences and presentations. A selection of recent appearances include:
Mae Watson Grote, Founder and CEO, Haidee Cabusora, Chief Program Officer, and Kate Reeves, Director of Capacity Building, joined the Citi Foundation and fellow grantees for the Community Progress Makers Convening in Washington D.C. There, Mae presented on the “From Doers to Influencers” panel to discuss Refund529 and the growth of the Clinic.
- This month, Mae also chaired a panel of “understanding the tipping points” in household debt for the Association of Public Policy and Management’s Fall Research Conference on November 3, and presented on “Busting 3 myths about building financial security for LMI households” at the quarterly meeting for the New York Federal Reserve Bank’s Community Advisory Board on November 15.
- Assistant Director of Partnership Management, Megan Kursik, co-presented with Carmina Lass of the Credit Builders Alliance at the 2017 AFCPE Symposium. The session focused on technology solutions for financial coaches, counselors and their customers, which included how to apply Customer Relationship Management technology to improve practice, important considerations for supporting customers when using fintech, and a brainstorm with participants on the most helpful fintech resources coaches and counselors are using with customers right now. Megan also spread the work about Change Machine to the 600+ attendees of the symposium as an exhibitor, and was excited to connect with so many passionate practitioners. Check out the Change Machine article on AFCPE’s #BridgingtheGap blog!
- Jared Marling, Assistant Director of Capacity Building, spoke on a panel of partners at College and Community Fellowship’s CARTAP convening, where he shared the Clinic’s innovations and approaches to support our partners who focus on re-entry and the needs of formerly incarcerated people.